Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cycle of Seasons

In yoga practice, we return to the same postures over and over again.  How can we approach each as fresh and new each time?  For me, it points to intention.  With the prompt from Michael, I made a conscious effort from the beginning of the class to be mindful of what I was doing at the very moment I was doing it.  Another consideration was discontinuing comparisons of previous attempts.  Some days, flexibility is better than others.  Today, I was happy with my pigeon pose because I found muscle engagement at the same time I found release.  I was also happy with less spinal twist in the triangle pose, because I did all I could do this morning.
"Without accepting the fact that everything changes, we cannot find perfect composure.  But unfortunately, although it is true, it is difficult for us to accept it. Because we cannot accept the truth of transience, we suffer." - Shinichi Suzuki
Today I felt good, tomorrow I might suffer.  My commitment to embracing transience is also transient!

3 comments:

  1. Like your journal...says so much about you. Keep on, keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss practicing with you! Thanks for sharing your thoughts...it makes me still feel connected in an electronic kind of way...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. The Bhagavad Gita refers to desire as the source of suffering. As I've mentioned, I don't feel ready to entirely agree with this. But I think the sentiment is the same as in the quote you offer: the truth of transience, the fact of the constancy of change, it emphasizes the fact that much is outside of our control; desire seems to contradict this realization. I think that is why connection to the present becomes so important. In remaining focused on the present, we accept change and transience and embrace wherever we are at in that transformation; we soften desire because desire is concerned with the future. By committing to the present, we perhaps avoid suffering.

    Just some thoughts to add to yours!
    -M

    ReplyDelete