Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wisdom and Realization

This week's journal prompt contains three quotes, two from the Bhagavad Gita and one from “The Yoga of Wisdom.” In the "Yoga of Wisdom," Krishna says:


“However men try to reach me,
I return their love with my love;
whatever path they may travel,
it leads to me in the end. (73)”


This quote struck me the most.  It also points me back to part of one of the quotes from the Bhagavad Gita when Krishna describes true wisdom to Arjuna:


“. . . the truly wise, Arjuna,
who dive deep into themselves,
fearless, one-pointed, know me
as the inexhaustible source.



Every class we begin and end by chanting "om".  Why do we do this?  I would assume for each person, it can be for different reasons and I'm sure our teachers tell us why we do this.  For me though, this is an action that initiates my discovery in the beginning of class and then sends me on my way after an hour and a half of practice.  This is when I quiet my mind and verbally call for my focus; to reach deep within myself and open to grace and self awareness.  At the end of class I chant to call an end to my practice, but also to feel the reverberation of the chant and practice bringing that "reverberation" into the rest of my day as an "inexhaustible source."

No comments:

Post a Comment