Sunday, October 11, 2009

Existence and Perception

The journal prompt for the week of October 7th is taken from The Splendor of Recognition: An Exploration of the Pratyabhijña-hrdayam, a Text on the Ancient Science of the Soul by Swami Shantananda. Below are two quotes that Shantananda offers.  One is from Baba Muktananda's book Mukteshwari and the other is a quote from Abhinavagupta:

"Because of your existence
Creation exists.
If you do not exist,
Nothing exists.
Muktananda, first know your Self.

What are you looking for
East and west,
North and south,
Above and below?
Muktananda, the whole universe
You alone are, you alone are,
You alone are. (38-39)” - Baba Muktananda

“Nothing perceived is independent of perception, and perception differs not from the perceiver; therefore the [perceived] universe is nothing but the perceiver. (45)” - Abhinavagupta


My response:
"First know your Self."  I am struck by that sentiment.  My own perception or knowledge of the universe would not exist if I did not exist.  My experiences would not exist if I did not exist.  That seems obvious, but it's odd to consider.  I am part of this universe and everything in it, but the perception of it starts from within myself.  I own my reality.

Most recent application of perception and embodiment:
Eight forty-five a.m. rolled around early October seventh.  At the beginning of yoga practice I noticed that my breathing was shallow, my balance a little shaky.  It took a while to slow my breathing down and release the urge to listen to my inner dialogue about weight and muscle tone.  Sometime in my adult life, I recorded a soundtrack of unhelpful criticisms that chooses to play when it is least helpful.  About halfway through class I was able to reacquaint myself with my center and quiet the unnecessary dialogue though connecting with my breath - not just hearing my breath, but moving with and being a part of the inhalations and exhalations.  The function of my breath, an everyday act of existence, at last informed my movement in class.  During savasana, my breath was not the only thing to which I connected.  Next to me was another student, breathing deeply.  And next to him another and another.  I kept my own breathing steady while aware that we were all a community breathing life into our own practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment