Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Letting Go

What a challenging class yesterday! My mind was all over the place. My breath flowed inconsistently and I was overly troubled by the student next to me who sat down for 95% of the class picking at her yoga pants. I've noticed this behavior from her before, but it didn't bother me until yesterday. This time, I just couldn't get over it. I tried to let it go because it did not serve any good purpose other than to obsess. My curiousity kept stealing me away from my own practice. I wanted to ask her if she was okay. Was she sick? Did she not care enough? At one point I said to myself that I was insulted. Then I followed that up with - Why should I care? Next, I blamed myself for interrupting my own practice with idle judgements about a person I did not know. It was truly frustrating. I thought, up until yesterday's class, that my concentration and focus was really coming along. I also thought of myself as a non-judgmental participant, but clearly this is not true. In fact, I'm embarrassed to admit it.

During meditation, I calmed down and brought my awareness back to myself. I don't have a solution figured out should this happen again. The only option I settled on upon rising from savasana, was that I will not place my mat next to her. Just one person over would be helpful. This is avoidance, rather than acceptance. Maybe tomorrow I will feel differently and decide I need to be next to her. Regardless, it is obvious that I allowed (and quite easily) another person to distract me. It wasn't her problem, but mine.

3 comments:

  1. I've only just begun to read through your lovely, lovely postings. Thank you for your reflections, they are lovely. I hope to have time to respond to at least a few of them.

    I wanted you to know that I too was aware of that student, and I have sent her an email seeking some sort of insight. She has several health issues that she has informed me of, but that should not prevent the amount of practice that she has been dropping out of. I just wanted to maybe contribute to your peace by letting you know that I am attempting dialogue with her. I just didn't know how to address it in class.

    I hope tomorrow will be more peaceful for you. We are continuing with the idea of letting go, with a little bit of a different emphasis. Another opportunity, another day of practice. Practice, practice, practice . . . that is sometimes how consciousness is shifted.

    See you then!
    -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful reflections! I love reading your thoughts, and I love reading in this blogosphere format. I am considering recommending this format to my entire class next quarter. It's so easy and accessible. Thank you for writing this way.

    Have a beautiful weekend! I'm going to try to comes see you dance tomorrow afternoon. And maybe I'll see you at Betsy's tonight?

    Happy Samhain/Halloween!
    -M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on, keeping on! Distractions are a given...you make your own place (as you have always done).

    ReplyDelete