Friday, November 13, 2009

Guided Meditation

For the most part, I have continued my ritual of evening stretching and meditation before going to bed. Last night I was completely spent so I decided to try something new and go through a guided meditation this morning instead. Here are my findings:
  1. Despite the preliminary stretching I do before I even get out of bed, I was still pretty stiff when sitting in meditation this morning.
  2. I'm already in a hurry because I know I have to go to work/campus, so it was a little more difficult to concentrate or to relax.
  3. There were three chakras that I felt most comfortable directing my attention. I found that the Svadhistana Chakra (associated with emotions) was comforting and warm. I easily directed my attention there. The Anahata Chakra (associated with the expansive nature of love) had quite the same effect. I also felt my eyes relax. My eyes and forehead relaxed even further when I focused my attention to my Ajna Chakra (Third Eye).
  4. The Muladhara Chakra (Root Chakra) was really hard for me to access.  I kept thinking about how my feet ached.  I tried to redirect my breathing more actively towards my feet, but this was very difficult.  I wonder if the issues I have with my feet lately are a reflection of the fact that I am still adjusting to the newness of grad school.
  5. I felt a little queazy breathing through my Manipura Chakra (located around the Solar Plexus).  Could it be the morning?
  6. My Vissuddha Chakra (Throat Chakra) was a little congested, which is funny because I am constantly working on being articulate throughout class discussions.
  7. The Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra) prompted me to sit up straight again.  (While I was really comfortable focusing my attention to my Ajna Chakra, I think I let my spine round and sink.)  When the guide announced, "I know," I questioned what that meant.  I think "knowing" doesn't necessarily mean "knowing everything", but "knowing that there are things you might not know."  Also there is much to learn about enlightment.  Isn't that a life-long quest?

No comments:

Post a Comment