Sunday, November 22, 2009

Revisiting

Today I popped in an old yoga DVD that I used to practice called Baptiste Power Vinyasa Yoga.  It was wonderful to notice slight differences.  Baptiste's language is different than Michael Morris's, however, I found myself translating Baptiste's words into what I have been exploring in Morris's class.

For example, when Baptiste would talk about breath, specifically "oceanic breathing," my ears heard ujjayi.  When Baptiste spoke of drawing the belly in deep, I thought of muscle engagement and the Svadhistana Chakra.

The particular vinyasa yoga I practiced today was a thirty minute session that focused on core strength, so there were more "exercises" for the abdominal muscles, which I needed today.  I found it interesting that it was next to impossible for me to maintain ujjayi breathing when I moved through more tradition abdominal exercises.  It was if my mind kicked into "gym" mentality.  The other thing I marveled at was how quickly 30 minutes passed.  I have more patience and stamina in yoga then I did when I first bought that DVD.  What a happy discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment